Wise & Young

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Facebook Pimpin'

For those of you who are not in the know, Facebook is an online community for those with a college email address. Ideally, facebook is used as a tool to re-connect with old friends from high school, extracurricular activities, and hell even from pre-school if you can remember their name. This online site is also divided up via communities some are based upon college/university that you attended geographical location, and work network, that you may also belong to. You can also post photos of yourself, unlimited amount of albums, view the photos of everyone on your buddy list and in your various networks. But the fun doesn’t stop there, no you can also search for people not just my name but by major key words, but also by sexual preference.

Now, to be honest most folks up there who are gay, do not have it down as I’m gay, in fact at some schools where you know the gay black population is high enough to have its own dorms, rarely does anyone admit. But there are subtle clues, like the biggest is just not answering the question. Or they do have that they are interested in women but for what….friendship read fag-hag. Another sign is look at their friends list, if the vast majority of their friends are men, and men who seem to share certain commonalities, such as football, track, and basketball players but this guy never played any of those sports then that may be a tip off. Better still, if an overwhelmingly high amount of their male friends have no shirt on in their profile photo then that may get the wheels churning. Some of the most painfully homosexuals out there are perpetrating on facebook as “straight”. One can attribute this to not wanting to be OUT to the whole world because that’s not something that they are ready to do. Which is understandable if you’re not out to your mom would you really want her to find out from someone else that you’re being all gay on the internet? I think not.

At first I did not friend anyone on facebook who I didn’t know and did not like as a person. But partly b/c I do not know a lot of people, and I don’t like most people my friends list was rather small. That got boring real quick, and I fooled myself into believing that I need to utilize facebook to its fullest potential. So I started to search out people first by going to the friends page who were painfully gay that I knew, but to their credit they had good looking friends on facebook, that old adage birds of a feather flock together rings so true. So after friending a few people, I became real bold and started a wish list of folks as my friends. What is a wish list you ask, a list of folks who I wished wanted me, nothing more, nothing less. So on my list I have some incredible eye candy, athletes, personal trainers, and random great looking guys who all for one reason or another granted me permission to be their friend.

Some people take it one step further in act, and not only make a wish list but try to meet up, hook up, and etc off of people on their facebook. Usually it starts off innocently enough by someone sending a person a message about something or another, and seeing if they respond. If a response is there, and that response entails them asking something about you, or trying to engage in conversation, not just a mono-Slavic answer then you may be onto something.

In this day in age where technology has permeated every ounce of fabric that ties us all together, then there is no reason for someone in my generation to not use the internet as a tool to meet potential mates. For those of you who view the internet as beholden to danger like kidnapping, rape, and murder I hope you are living in a plastic bubble in a bomb shelter. Because all of those things, happen irregardless of where you meet someone or how.

Just my thoughts

2 Comments:

  • I LOVE IT!!!!

    Damn you hit the nail on the head. Wait until my FB post.

    By Blogger N4R, at 3:38 PM  

  • liKE mytruth said the fact that it has become a dating site goes way beyond my understanding.
    I've never finished filling my profile, i already have enough trouble with hi5... lol

    By Blogger Soldier, at 10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home