Wise & Young

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

My new Hobby

One thing anyone has to realize that just because you don’t have money, or subscribe to the pauvre chic mantra does not mean that you have to sacrifice quality. Actually with the pauvre principle you end up having one of a kind piece that you have created. For instance, look at this dresser I got for free, its an Ethan Allen Dresser and mirror, which if I bought would have cost me 1300 easy, in the current condition, people buy dressers like this for 500 easy due to it being well made. I got the dresser with a pauvre vision in mind, use as little money to make the most out of it. So I decided to stain it a minwax color called “Bombay Mahogany” a deep rich brown, and put new handles on the dresser. The supplies, gloves, chemical stripper, sandpaper, sponge applicators, the polyshades ( a blend of polyurethane and the stain), and a tarp cost me about $50.

So before this is how it looks.

Look at the scratches on top of the dresser, not in the best of condition

This is how it looked after I stripped and sanded the dresser, at this point I’m thinking I really fucked this up, there was no turning back.

The dresser doors I took out and did them separately.

Here’s the final product

Look at it

Look at that shine

Before After

I really liked the process and I think this will be a new hobby of mine, refinishing furniture.

2 Comments:

  • You need a home improvement show. LOL.

    By Blogger ThisMightBeMe, at 12:55 PM  

  • I love that you find new interest and reinvent yourself at every turn. It's a blessing to shift gears so easily. Keep it up pa.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home