Wise & Young

Monday, October 03, 2005

Why I love me some 90's

Man its official, the 90’s were the SHIT!!!!
The economy was good, I didn’t have any bills, and the music was on point! I love the 90’s, the fashion, the pop culture, the current events (now history), everything. Remember the early 90’s when everyone was trying to be Afro centric, leather African medallions, dashikis were back in vogue, and the only bling were wooden beads, all harkening back to our Diaspora roots. Man I miss those days, I miss being able to turn on the TV and seeing GOOD TV shows that I didn’t have to sneak around when my mom wasn’t around, like the Cosby Show, Different World, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Seinfeld, Living Single, Martin, NY Undercover, In Living Color, you get the idea.
I remember where I was when the OJ verdict was read, seventh grade honors English, and of course the only black face there. It was weird like being Black in such a very white setting in a verdict that still polarized the nation down racial lines. But it for damn sure prepared me for the so-called white world oops I mean real world sorry Freudian slip. But anyway remember when BET had Caribbean rhythms, with Rachel Hunter, remember when Patra who pre-dated lil Kim as the nastiest female artist out! Now listen to her songs, and they don’t even sound nor do her video, seem bad. But you couldn’t tell anyone that back then. Remember Shabba, I’m sorry but that was only ugly man. But remember Video Vibrations, Video Soul.
There is so much about the 90’s that I love that make them so much better the 2005. Remember when Monica was singin’ about “Just one them days” or Ghostown DJ’s “My Boo”, En Vogue, Brandy, GOOD Whitney, Common, Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth, Blackstreet, man I could go on and on.
The dances they used to have were on point to, the tootsie roll, the tick, the pepper seed, the heel toe, Bankhead bounce, the running man, think about it. Every summer I remember had the feel of a bbq’s. The worst two days were Parent Teacher conference and getting my report card.

Dayum I wish I could go back to the 90’s, I’m actually thinking about throwing a 90’s theme party…What do you all think?

2 Comments:

  • BET went downhill when they let go of Video Soul and Donni Simpson...

    and I was offcially done when Bob "sell his people up a river for a couple billion" Johnson gave Tavis the boot...

    By Blogger Quaheem, at 2:27 PM  

  • 90s is cool but I will forever love me some 80s! Especially the tv shows and cartoons...

    By Blogger N4R, at 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home